Monday 27 October 2014

Bog Man, the Wetland adventure



Ah'm agate gooin fo't BOG, cocker! (I'm off to the bog, mate!)

So here I am, my first blog EVER, and what's it about? That's right "BOGS"! Wet, smelly, dark and dangerous bogs, and I love them. Actually they're not so bad, in fact I would even go as far as saying that they are flipping cracking. 

Firstly, to correct myself and to put you, the reader, on the right track, my blog isn’t just about bogs but about Wetlands in general and all their glory. Whether it's a fen, bog, marsh or a mangrove, or one of the other names that elude me at this moment, that is what the entirety of this blog will be about and, of course, my muddy adventures in them. 

For those who are well versed in the dialectal variation of the English Language you will automatically know, from looking at the name of my blog and the title of this post, from where I and my love of wetlands hale, for those of you don't, I will now explain.

“Ah’s a Lancashire lad” and was lucky enough to grow up surrounded by the Meres (lakes) and Mosses (Wetlands) of the Lancashire plain where I first found my enthusiasm for both wetlands and the natural world.

As a young boy we would take regular trips to the local wetlands and would often get to lend a hand, which was always an exciting prospect as a young lad (and still as a not so young lad). I was especially fond of Martin mere, “once th’ moast biggest mere in aw o’ Ingland” as many a local would boast, although I am still unsure if I believe that. Now, the much reduced Martin Mere is a wetland nature reserve run by the WWT and is, in my opinion, equally as spectacular as ever and hosts a whole array of wildlife.

So now, after a number of years as a teacher, I have decided to return to the glamorous world of wetlands and do a masters in “Wetland science and Conservation” and this blog is going to be used to record my life as a Wetland MSc Student and to document every field trip I go on and all the other things that my supervisors or I deem important enough to blog about

So here we go……………… let’s get bogging  


No comments:

Post a Comment